Watch the GAMES RULES VIDEO,
- You will have one year to complete your quest. (If you register before August 1, 2020, your year does not begin till August 1 when the games open up officially). After one year, your membership expires along with your chance of getting that treasure!
- Once you "complete" a level by filling out the online answer sheet, you must allow up to 72 hours for your work to be checked. YOU NEED to pass by 80% to Unlock the next level.
- After 72 hours, you may log back in and go to the LANDING PAGE to check if you can click on the next level.
- You may re-try the level up to 3 times to get a score above 80%. After the 3rd time, you will need to complete a secret mission that will be emailed to you.
- Once you complete level 6, you will complete the BURIED Treasure page and after that, a treasure map will be mailed to your house. Please allow 2 weeks for the treasure map to mailed to you after you complete the BURIED TREASURE page.
Be sure to only use GOOGLE MAPS for this QUEST or the coordinates may be off.
HOW TO PLAY:
Start at the LANDING PAGE.
- Start at LEVEL 0. Once you complete Level O, You will officially be in the game and granted access to level 1 (allow up to 72 hours for access to be granted).
- Once you get to Level 1, Read through the Resources first, Prepare for your trip by watching the videos that are posted and gaining some background knowledge. DO NOT SKIP on any of the background knowledge of you will find great difficulty in your quests.
- Print out the Field Quest, read through it and attached it to your clipboard. Each level has a .pdf download you will need to print out to take with you on your adventure. By having access to our outdoor resource library, you will need to navigate through and print the appropriate field guide for your adventure. After you take notes out in the field, you will need to fill in all your answers on the level portal to advance to the next level. This may require some time and effort so please plan for when you have at least half an hour to upload and answer all the questions. You cannot "save" it halfway so be sure you have everything you need before attempting this.
- Its best to highlight and plot how you want to tackle the adventure BEFORE getting to your location. Divide up with your team who will do what. Younger kids will be good at the "FIND IT" questions in the hunt where GPS is not necessary but knowledge from watching the videos prior to the quest is.
- PHOTO UPLOADS: To prove that the plants and animals you are finding at the site you are on is indeed a photo taken by you at the actual site you are on and not some prior site, you must either: A- have a family or team member in the picture or B- cut out a STANLEY that you put in each picture you take to prove you took the picture. Be sure to show some of the trail in your picture so it. is easily identifiable as the site you are at. Pictures without a FLAT STANLEY or one of your team members in it will not be counted.
- Each level gets harder and harder as you go.
- Completing level 6 with a higher percentage than 80% will unlock your buried treasure map. Allow 2 weeks for your treasure map to be mailed to you.
- Absolutely NO SPOILING locations to other players. You don't get to the know the location until you unlock the level. Please keep the excitement alive by refraining to give away clues and information to other players who are not yet at the level you are at. If they are stuck on a level and then call you for help, you can guide them a little bit but please don't give away the answers. You will be added to a Whattsap group so you an discuss secrets you find, that is fine.. There are some secrets to the game that you may come across as you go.
How to use your Energy Points
- ENERGY POINTS: Some levels have hidden clues and bonus challenges. If you complete those, they give you ENERGY POINTS. Energy points help you towards free answers for future challenges. Whenever you see the stars on your .pdf download, it means that level has the opportunity to gain some energy points. Think of it as "extra credit opportunities" Some levels have opportunities for more energy points than others.
- Your energy points will ONLY be used to bump you up to the next level should you get more than 20% wrong. If you do not have enough energy points to get to the next level, you will stay at the level you are at and will have to try it again.
- 45 unused Energy Points also enhances the value of your treasure. example: Lets say in level 1, you get 3 energy points, and then in level 2, you get 2. So now, you have completed 2 levels and have 5 energy points. Lets say you get to level 3 and you happen to earn 10 energy points. Now you are at 15. Lets say at Level 4 you are having a hard time and you miss a bunch of questions, You are allowed to miss 20% of the questions without it tapping into your Energy Points. But, lets say you miss 2 points more than allowed and have a 78%. Well, you need a 80% to pass. This means 2 of your energy points will be used to pass you to the next level. So, You are now at 13 energy points. Energy points are never used unless you need it to absolutely pass the level you are currently on. Its a great idea to try to get as many energy points if you can. If you pass level 6 and you have a balance of more than 45 energy points, your Buried treasure value increases.
- Another player who has the same HOUSE as you wins you an additional energy point every time you unlock a level. If they unlock a level and are in the same house as you, you will automatically be gifted another energy point.
- How can we earn extra energy points? To keep the game fun and allow players to see snippets of what other players are up to, we are asking players to tag us in facebook or Instagram. Use Hashtag #artandwilderness_institute or tag us with @artandwilderness_institute and use hashtag #gpsadventurequests. To earn the point, you should include a small phrase about what level you are on and what you are learning. Share an interesting thing you have learned! You can earn an additional energy point per level by tagging us in your quest. After you have turned in a quest, you cannot tag us later. It has to be current and in the moment as you are doing the quest to earn the extra point for your team. EXAMPLE: Lets say you are on level 5 and realize you need more points, you can't tag us in a level 1 quest at that point to earn extra points. You can tag us but it wont be worth more points at that stage.
WHAT IS THE BURIED TREASURE?
If you knew what it was, it would not be a buried treasure, would it? However, we will say that the buried treasure will be custom tailored to your preference. The buried treasure is not buried until you pass level 6. Please allow 2 weeks for your buried treasure map to be mailed to your physical home address. Once you receive your buried treasure map, you and your team can venture out to find it.
What you will GAIN on these quests:
- Knowledge on how to use a map
- Knowledge on How to use GPS
- Knowledge of Native Plants and Animals
- Familiarity with different trails in Orange County, CA
- Knowledge of Geology
- Knowledge of Ocean Ecology
- Knowledge of Ornithology (The Study of Birds)
- Knowledge of Ethnobotany (Plant Uses)
- Knowledge of Entomology (the study of Insects and Arachnids)
- Amazing Curriculum!
WHO IS THIS FOR?
This is for either just for you, just your child or for the whole family, team or scout group. If it is for your child, your child will need a lot of parent guidance to complete these quests. You will automatically be learning as a byproduct.. so just go ahead and know in advance its for the whole family. Most of the knowledge in here is stuff that adults don't know and could benefit from learning. If you are looking to get into shape and exercise while learning, this is also for you. Ages 6 and up can do this with guided help. The best way to do this is to fully learn and prepare for each adventure.
What areas are these adventures in?
- South Irvine
- Laguna Beach
- Huntington Beach
- Newport Beach