Hang in there! We are moving our blog over to it's new home.
By: Sama Wareh
I have received numerous texts and emails asking where good places to go hike are and where you can still park in a parking lot. I thought it was time to take a moment to share what I know so that you can still get outside with your family. I am working on developing a scavenger hunt at some of these sites that you and your family can partake in. It should be ready in a few weeks and if you are on our mailing list, you will get an email with more details.
Before I share these trails with you I want you to know that I still believe everyone should get some fresh air, go outside and interact with nature. I can still see the risk of overcrowded trails and beaches and agree with the county in closing many of these places, however I do feel that if you are being cautious and wise as far as timings go, are avoiding crowded trails, and are not going in large groups, your risks go down. In other words, stay off the trails on the weekends and afternoons. Kids are all off their Zoom meetings in the afternoons and dying to get outside so the trails are packed.
Here are precautions that you should take while out on the trails:
1. Keep 6 feet away from others.
2. If the trail gets tight and you see another person coming, step off the trail if it is safe to do so and turn your face away from them. Let them pass. Then keep going.
3. Avoid crowded times (Afternoons and Weekends)
4. Sanitize your hands as soon as you get back into your car (or sooner if you are carrying hand-sanitizer in your backpack)
5. Do not leave exposed hand-sanitizer or rubbing alcohol in the backseat of your car while hiking or your car may be broken into.
6. That last one was a joke.
5 RECOMMENDED TRAILS
(always check online first for updated closures, as things are changing fast during these times)
1. Quail Hill Loop Trail in Irvine 1.8 mile LOOP- Easy
2. San Joaquin Marsh - Irvine- Easy
3. Bolsa Chica Wetlands - Huntington Beach- Easy
4. Shady Canyon Trail - Irvine
5. Top of the World Trail, Laguna Beach
And if you all have BIKES! Go bike riding!
May you all stay safe and healthy during this time and use the time as a chance to reconnect with Nature.
The Art & Wilderness Institute Journalism Team are individuals who appreciate the world we live in and love to explore the myriad connections of all things in the world around us. We love to highlight the beautiful things we see in nature and to help others find ways to live with more connections to the outdoor world and the way it benefits us all.