Modified based on the Green Ramadan Pledge by Imam Zaid Shakir. Source: https://greenramadan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/GreenRamadanPledge.pdf
Let us unite as one ummah to fulfill the sunnah of our Prophet SAW. Submit your Green Ramadan Pledge and share how YOU will GO GREEN this Ramadan and beyond!
Abu Sa’eed al-Khudree R.A. said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (SAW) say, “Whoever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then (let him change it) with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart - and that is the weakest of faith.” Source: Sahih Muslim 49
10 REASONS TO QUIT USING STYROFOAM
- Styrofoam is a known hazardous substance that releases toxins like benzene and styrene into our food and drink which can harm human health and reproductive systems.
- Styrofoam is a non-biodegradable substance and lasts over 500 years in our lands and oceans.
- The production of styrofoam releases large amounts of harmful chemicals into our environment.
- Styrofoam leads to the depletion of the ozone layer which protects us from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Ignoring the horrific dangers of styrofoam for short-term convenience and economic gain is not worth the price our current and future generations will have to pay.
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Americans throw out 25 billion styrofoam cups and take-out containers every year. The additional cost of using eco-friendly products is a change our community must prioritize.
- The Quran has many verses emphasizing the importance of our role as stewards of the land such as “It is He who has appointed you viceroys in the earth … that He may try you in what He has given you.” (Quran 6:165); “O children of Adam! … eat and drink: but waste not by excess, for Allah loves not the wasters.” (Quran 7:31); “And do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption.” (Qur’an, 2:60); “And do not desire corruption in the land. Indeed, God does not like corruptors.” (Quran 28:77).
- Each year over 100,000 animals die ingesting plastic or styrofoam.
- Styrofoam cannot be recycled.
- Styrofoam is light and crumbles easily and ends up creating microscopic debris in our coastline and waterways.