CHANGE HAPPENS BY ALSO EDUCATING OUR COMMUNITY.
USE THESE RESOURCES TO GET GOING ON COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION!
- Styrofoam is a known hazardous substance that releases toxins like benzene and styrene into our food and drink which can harm human health and reproductive systems.
- Styrofoam is a non-biodegradable substance and lasts over 500 years in our lands and oceans.
- The production of styrofoam releases large amounts of harmful chemicals into our environment.
- Styrofoam leads to the depletion of the ozone layer which protects us from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Ignoring the horrific dangers of styrofoam for short-term convenience and economic gain is not worth the price our current and future generations will have to pay.
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Americans throw out 25 billion styrofoam cups and take-out containers every year. The additional cost of using eco-friendly products is a change our community must prioritize.
- The Quran has many verses emphasizing the importance of our role as stewards of the land such as “It is He who has appointed you viceroys in the earth … that He may try you in what He has given you.” (Quran 6:165); “O children of Adam! … eat and drink: but waste not by excess, for Allah loves not the wasters.” (Quran 7:31); “And do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption.” (Qur’an, 2:60); “And do not desire corruption in the land. Indeed, God does not like corruptors.” (Quran 28:77).
- Each year over 100,000 animals die ingesting plastic or styrofoam.
- Styrofoam cannot be recycled.
- Styrofoam is light and crumbles easily and ends up creating microscopic debris in our coastline and waterways.